28 Jan 2020

Quest ReQuest: Shower Quest

Time for another installment of Quest ReQuest! I made the first of these yesterday, and today we are jumping forward in time significantly!

Yes, it's time for the quest in which my author avatar deftly throws away his clothes and takes a shower!! It's based on real events, it's really silly and stupid, it was made specifically to show to my friends, it's Shower Quest!


The story behind this one's creation might be the most interesting thing about it! I went to take a shower, but when I entered the shower there was a BIG FAT MOTH in there!! Hijinx ensued and I successfully took my shower, and afterwards I recounted the fact in a chat server I was using back then, and I got the idea "well why don't I make this into a quest?".

Yes, it's very exciting!!
And so I did! I made this quest on the very same evening, I'm sure, and I even had the conversation at the start of the quest mirror the conversation we were having after I'd taken the shower. Of course my author avatar made sure to point of the time paradox! This also explains why some bits of dialogue must seem like total non-sequiturs, these were some injokes we had at the time! Quite amusing, some of them, though I don't like that whole 'legion of fangirls' nonsense. All I want are fanboys. And the fanboys are all goblins. Ohyes.

This isn't actually from any real quest.
I just made this so I could take this screenshot.
I got a lot of mileage out of it, so 100% worth it!
This quest reused a lot of assets from an earlier quest I made, funnily enough the rooms here were loose adaptations of the house I live in. Of course, in the 7 years since, I've moved into another room in the same house and the bathroom got a complete overhaul, so the layout is quite outdated! Funny how one of my quests sort of becomes a time capsule of how things used to be, I can actually vividly remember the old bathroom just from the layout I gave it in this quest...

Something I'd often try to do in my quests is make a lot of dialogue for optional observations of objects! Writing these bits of dialogue were often the most fun part of making these quests, though looking back at them I think a lot of these would be much better if I cut them short! Many of my jokes in these quests turned out rather long-winded, and not on purpose either! Were I to make a quest today, I'd really need to keep in mind that oftentimes less is more, at least when it comes to silly side content. I'd also say something about how the dialogue can suddenly get very suggestive, but, well, this is nothing compared to some other stuff I made!

How randomly lewd!
I'd also try to give all of the items in my quests unique descriptions and whatnot, be they equipment or just key items! I also gave my clothing gigantic stat bonuses, which of course is totally pointless when I remove them before taking a shower! Yup, that's some PERMANENTLY MISSABLE CONTENT right there!

The use of music amuses me! The Fear track playing during the intro despite the quest's silly nature, Path playing for the EQIP QUEST TO GET TO THE BATHROOM and THE EPIC QUEST TO OBTAIN TOILET PAPER, having the silly Goblins track start playing when I take off my clothes and of course the very overblown use of Courage for the battle with the 'moth'! While the dialogue leaves things to be desired in several areas, I do think the rest of the quest is relatively polished and technically competent, at least for what might as well be called a shitpost in quest form!


I do also like the use of the facial expressions, especially the Goblinface above. The game's Goblinfaces just conveyed a lot of raw emotion filtered through rather dopey and silly expressions, they were my favourite to use and I gave most Goblin and Ogre characters these expressions!

Fun thing, when this quest was made I had to use a scorpion instead because the game didn't have anything resembling a moth yet! The game has since added other creatures, such as the blade bee, but I kinda like the use of the scorpion now.

Speaking of, boss battle!! And in fact the only battle in the quest! Something I do still like about these quests is how battles are used sparingly and only for other named characters. There's no cutting down or random wildlife or precious goblin lives! Having said that, the balance of some of these battles was rather out there! In this battle, every single action has a plethora of special effects! On my first try I accidentally buffed the opponent and got instagibbed quite hard! I actually edited the stats a bit to make it easier, since it's not really meant to be a real challenge considering it didn't even happen for real!

So, that was another quickie! It's fun to look back at something like this, which was made for an incredibly niche audience of like a dozen people tops! It shows off a part of gaming that is really quire obscure, just making these short little stories for friends to play and not really meant for mass consumption. Just the sheer joy of creating something for others to enjoy. Regardless of whether it's actually good!!

I believe next time I'll go back to the realm of more out there quests and cover Quiz Quest! Because the most sensible thing to do with this RPG engine was to make a quiz, of course!

No comments:

Post a Comment