8 Jun 2015

An examination of examinations, being better in bed and emptiness from goodness

For some reason, it feels like it's been a while since I last wrote a blog! Even though it was just the fifth of June, and it's about the be the eight for me as I'm writing this. I guess it's because there's been multiple things I've been wanting to write about the past few days, but I only got around to it now, so there's probably going to be about three parts to this blog.


First of, there's the exams. I tend to mention my exams while chatting on Skype, at the end of each semester. Exams have always seemed like the most tangible obstacles in life to me, you know what you can do to prepare for them and you know whether you passed or not as soon as you get your grade. I've always had little trouble passing exams, but it sure starts to sound sad when those are somehow the things I consider the hurdles in my life, unlike something like maintaining a social life, getting a (temporary) job,  not to mention a love life... Maybe I just have this one-track mind, and all I am focused on is my education? Though that is hardly a good thing...

Really though, it's odd looking back at how my mind always sees these exams as these big things like that when they happen, yet in retrospect they all seem much less meaningful, and certainly less daunting. Back when I first started at university, I was always so scared of exams, yet when I look back at them now, they seem like child's play compared to my third year. The entirety of my first year was devoted to economics, and by extension maths, accounting and finance. It's odd to think I saw things such as Quantitative Methods as so daunting, while I now have law courses which take much more time and effort... But going to university for three years now, being at the end of my year and so close to getting my Bachelor, it feels like much of that nervousness has just eroded. I'll be so glad when I finish my exam the upcoming Friday with a good feeling, yet I'm also afraid what to do next without such a tangible goal in front of me. There's the Master afterwards, but that's three months away, and I really don't want to waste three months, not like last year... But I suppose I'll need to work on that, yes! Starting by sending a phone call to the local cinema, how tedious that right after I send an open appliance and it's rejected, it turns out an employee is going to leave, giving me a second chance. And if that doesn't work out, I guess I'll need to find something else.


The weather's really turned around lately as well, just last Friday, we had a barbecue and everything! That day was a rather weird day, I spent pretty much the entirety of the day either laying in bed or outside. For some reason, doing things inside of bed always feels the most right to me. I always go over my notes and other paper-based material in bed, doing that feels much better to me than sitting at some desk or heavens forbid doing it digitally. Yet so much of the world is digital now, but reading things from a screen while sitting just doesn't sit as well with my as doing it from bed. Considering I had to plow through a 90-page summary, I pretty much rearranged stuff so I could lay in bed while studying from the PC, taking breaks at times while using the remote keyboard to play games on the PC. It feels so much better than just sitting, it's like sitting makes my mind wander off to all sorts of places while laying in bed does not. I wonder if that's a common thing?

It reminds me of how I can't stand sitting in a lecture hall in the middle of the day, which makes me fall asleep, yet laying in bed and listening to a recording of a lecture during the evening is more relaxing than anything... I guess it's not possible to do everything from out of the bed, though. I wonder if I could set stuff up so I could use the PC from bed? I doubt it, sigh, I guess that is what makes playing a game on a handheld or a console feel different from a PC, or reading a book, like Goblin Quest. I do need to get back to that, I finished the first book, but there's still two left! Maybe there are other books to read? Ones about Goblins, of course. I can't imagine sitting down and reading a book, but doing it in bed just feels right.


Something I don't think I've talked about at all recently is a show I've been watching, As Told By Ginger. I think  started about a month ago, maybe longer ago, and I stopped at some point, but yesterday and today I watched most of the last season, and it left such an impact. It's a show mostly for young teenagers, probably aimed more at girls than boys too, but I just found the characters, plots and such so likable that I watched the whole thing, and it got so poignant at moments, it just left me feeling very good yet also sort of empty since it's over now. I guess that's the feeling you always get when something you enjoyed had a satisfying conclusion, huh? Whether it's a show, a book, or that one wacky space adventure game you got so obsessed with only to spend days listening through audiofiles and going through hours of video footage... Yeah. So many things feel empty lately, and it's only going to get emptier, I really need to get things together once the week's over, I really do...

No comments:

Post a Comment